Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Scale Events>One Eighth Air Force Fall Fly-In Report Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: October/20/2014 at 3:55pm  Quote

Spectacular weather and a great turn out for our Fall 2014 event this past weekend. 

Top Flite Spitfire ARF of OEAF member Val Roqueni (Sp?).  Val changed things up a bit by adding SEA markings rather than the supplied RAF markings.

Pilatus Porter ARF of OEAF member Kenny Rhoads.  Kenny must like Swiss aircraft, or Pilatus aircraft, as he also had a PC-21 at the event.

OEAF member Dave Zarra had a substantail portion of his large scale fleet on hand including the Fly Baby, Stinson, Stearman, and Ercoupe seen below.

Fly Baby, I'm guessing this is the 1/3 scale Balsa USA kit.

Stinson Gullwing from the Top Flite kit.

1/3 scale Stearman PT-17 from the Balsa USA kit, Moki 215 for power.  Dave has a fantastic smoke system installed as well.

1/3 scale Ercoupe, also from the Balsa USA kit.  I think that Dave has an OS 300 twin in this one but don't quote me on that.  Whatever he has in there it is accompanied by an on board starter which is a neat feature.

B-25 Mitchell belonging to Team Powers.  I believe this is a dolled up Top Flite ARF.  Pilot and OEAF member Rick Powers was the recipient of the first place twin engine flight award with this aircraft.

About 1/4 of the noon time Saturday line-up.  Last I heard there were 55 registered pilots for the weekend and I'm guessing somewhere around 200 aircraft.

Gorgeous Huey Cobra in fire spotter colors.  I have forgotten the builder's name for which I apologize.  I'm not helicopter guy but this thing was very cool.

Fokker DVII of Rick Chitty, recipient of the Best Scale Flight Award.  Not sure but I would guess this too is a Balsa USA kit.

Curtiss F6C Hawk of Jay Steward.  Believe it or not this started out as a Great Planes P6E Hawk ARF!  That fact is less hard to believe when you find out that Jay is a past Scale Masters Champion.

If it ain't broke, go fly it!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/20/2014 at 3:56pm  Quote

Kenny Thornton's Sig 1/3 scale Spacewalker.

Good old Goldberg Art Scholl Super Chipmunk belonging to Rob Ambrose.

SPAD XIII which I believe is the Maxford USA ARF.

Derek Micko's Wowplanes ME-110.  Not quite ready to fly but a neat project which was very well executed.

Hangar 9 1/4 scale Tigermoth ARF

Another shot down the noon time line-up on Saturday.

CompARF P-47 with Moki 250 power.  I think the owner's name is Mike Middleton but I'm terrible with names.  Chime in if you are the owner, or know the owner, if you would like to confirm or deny!  First place best warbird flight award winner.

Beautiful short nosed FW-190 but I did not get any information on this one.

Frank Migliaccio's brought along his Top Flite Zero ARF and P-47 in captured markings.  Both of these birds also feature on board starters.  Frank has more fun than should be allowed and is a great ambassador of our fine sport.  I'm pretty sure he won a flight award as well but I can't recall which one!

Another fine ambassador as well as a big supporter of the OEAF events is Bill Hempel.  He can always be counted on to show up with something(s) interesting.  This year I saw a Piper Pawnee, L-4 Cub, Sorrell Hiperbipe, and an itty bitty Cri-Cri twin from Bill's collection.  The little Cri-Cri provided Bill with a third place in the best twin engine flight category but, sorry to say, I didn't get a picture.  I probably would have had to use the macro setting on my camera to get a good shot of it anyway!  The rest of his fleet can be seen in the pictures below.  I was particularly fond of the Hiperbipe which is just a cool airplane from any angle.  This years pilot's raffle prize was one of Bill's 1/4 scale L-4 ARF offerings and on behalf of the OEAF I would like to give him a public "thank you" for his support of our events.

Unfortunately our event this weekend conflicted with the Best in the West Jet Rally so we had very little in the way of jets.  The only turbine model I saw was this L-39 for which, unfortunately, I did not get any information.  I did see a superb emergency landing on Saturday when one of the main gear failed to deploy.  A fine display of airmanship by the pilot, whomever he may be.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/20/2014 at 3:57pm  Quote

Jack Steward also had a small fleet of aircraft at the event which included the PT-19 and Bristol M1 seen below.  I did not get a picture of his nicely built Jack Stafford Commanche before he put it away on Saturday I'm sorry to say.  Those of you who may be watching Jack's scratch build Boeing F4B thread going on here at RCU will have some idea of the quality of his work.  He brought along the vertical fin of the Boeing which I got to fondle a little bit and it looks every bit as good in person as it does in the pictures.  I did not get any info on the PT-19 but the Bristol is build from the old Balsa USA kit.  I'm just now starting to realize how well represented Balsa USA was this weekend!

OEAF founding member Bob Frey's Hangar 9 Razorback Jug.  This is, of course, the ARF but obviously Bob has done some work to it.  I think this thing must have 300 or more flights on it by now!

Kangke 1/4 scale Monocoupe ARF, I think belonging to Team Powers.  

One of a hand full of Top Flite Jugs to be seen over the weekend.  In case you had not noticed allready, the P-47 was very well represented!  You could have thrown a rock in any direction and chances are pretty good it would have hit a Jug!

Tim Cardin brought along his veteran P-51 as well as his brand new Cessna T-50 "Bamboo Bomber" in "Skyking" colors.  The Mustang is from the Byron kit while the Cessna was built from Don Smith plans and features a couple of Saito 3-cylinder radials.  Tim took home several awards for the Cessna which was absolutely awesome in its execution.  

OEAF member Rick Marshall's Hangar 9 Spitfire ARF which features electric power and can be regularly seen quietly zooming past any gas powered warbirds that happen to be sharing the same airspace.  It gets around in fine fashion.

OEAF member Shayne Williams' Meister P-47 Thunderbolt.

I'll finish up with a couple of shots from the pit-area which give some idea of the variety of aircraft (variety of Thunderbolts?) as well as the superb Sun Valley Fliers flying field which was the venue for the event.  A big thank you to SVF for hosting the One Eighth Air Force Fall 2014 scale fly-in.  Next will be our Spring event in March of 2015, see you there!

Avatar User Offline Duplicator41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/20/2014 at 4:44pm  Quote

Thanks for the report and the great photos Chad. How come there's no Hellcat in any of them.

Cheers,

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/20/2014 at 5:13pm  Quote

There were a couple of Hell Cats there but I don't have any pictures or info on them.
One was done in a flat red finish which I think was a drone version.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/20/2014 at 5:19pm  Quote

Quote: Duplicator41
Thanks for the report and the great photos Chad. How come there's no Hellcat in any of them.

Hi Andy,

My Hellcat was present (you can see it in the background of the Tiger Moth photo) but unfortunately only as a static exhibit.  I recently swapped out the OS .91FX for an Evolution 20cc gasser and I can't get the Evolution to run.  Working on a solution now but it may end up being replaced with yet another powerplant of some type.  There were a couple of CMP Hellcats present as well but I didn't get any photos of them.  They were just stock CMP birds but they sure looked like they flew great.  With any luck I will have my new bright yellow Hellcat done for our "Winter Warbirds" event in January.  Yes, I'm a sucker for the bright target drone paint jobs!    

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/20/2014 at 5:45pm  Quote

Quote: bpsteve
There were a couple of Hell Cats there but I don't have any pictures or info on them.
One was done in a flat red finish which I think was a drone version.

Steve: Just kidding Chad a little.

Cheers,

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/20/2014 at 5:47pm  Quote

Found it Chad. You had it well hidden.

Cheers,