] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: August/24/2014 at 3:18pm  Quote

The word is the IMAA is folding its tent. The next magazine issue will be the last. I wonder if the AMA will still publish "Big Bird Fly-Ins" with minimum size requirements in their upcoming events pages in Model Aviation that used require IMAA membership?

Scratch Jennin Taube
Proctor D7
Toni Clark Sopwith Pup
Flight of the Phoenix
GTM 1/3 Fok EV
Kauffmann No.1
Next: Don Smith Ki-27 Nate

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/24/2014 at 4:02pm  Quote

Yeah, I got an email from them telling me that they were not going to provide a HiFlight magazine this month. They stated that for the first time they didn't have the revenue to do so. Looks like they're history. I think they've outlived their usefulness because once 'giant scale' was unique and new but is commonplace now and no need for a separate organization.

Bob T.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
South Miami, FL
IP Logged
Posted: August/24/2014 at 4:07pm  Quote

It being a self funding Special Interest Group, I doubt it very much that the AMA will pick up the tab. I have been a member for several years and have always enjoyed the magazine. The number of IMAA sanctioned events in Florida has been minimal in the last few years, my club refused to restrict our Big Bird event to IMAA with the reasoning that it would force attendees to become members. Even after that rule was removed, it was never interest in going IMAA.

The intention of the SIG was to promote large scale aero-modeling and maybe it did not change with the times...

Flying: Bellanca XR-3, Fleet
Bench: PC-6
Pending: Stampe, Spacewalker
What to do: Morrisey Bravo

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/24/2014 at 5:43pm  Quote

As a Special Interest Group, IMAA led the technology and ruling of larger than normal models.  Large scale planes becoming not a rare sight at any fun flies as before.  I think it (IMAA )has been a victim of it's success in that goal.  I'll miss the most informative mag.  I'm still building big as it IS easier to fly with my old eyes.

As far as AMA sanctioning, would not the CD have restrictions on a fly in that could use the IMAA criteria with an Open Fun Fly?

Sort of like the 2.4 only restriction or no to certain channels on the 72hz. 

Ray Webster

AMA 2737

IMAA 9513, Dist V Asst Director

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: October/22/2014 at 6:53am  Quote

My opinion, or two bits worth, as we say in Texas, the IMAA started it's downward slide years ago when it decided it would not hold competitions. Competition brings out the best in all things. Those who shine rise to the top. When IMAA first started, it was the perfect avenue for true scale builders. Now they could find like minded folks who loved to build giant scale models. People were actually campaigning their models and traveled to IMAA events hoping to garner an award or trophy. High Flight was and continued to be a great source of vendors catering to large model builders. Even though IMAA is gone, I will continue to carry my current membership card as a reminder of the good times I had attending their events and of the friends I made doing so.

IMAA 22208

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/22/2014 at 7:13am  Quote

hmmm I see the future RCSB sanctioned giant scale competition. Membership required minimum 1/4 scale or larger 80"+ wingspan.... lol this will be a void that may need to be filled.

Building:
Chipmunk
Thunder Tiger P68 Partanavia

Denver, Colorado

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: October/22/2014 at 8:01am  Quote

All is good. 

High Flight may still be in the offing.  http://www.highflightmagazine.com/  T'was a good mag that featured only large scale aircraft, regional events, systems and merchandise for larger than the usual aircraft.

I was reminded last weekend why I like the old IMAA fly-in tenants.  Trying to fit my 1/4 scaler in with a whole swarm of small foamies that fly within the confines of a 30 foot diameter circle.  Always over the active in front of the pilots station. 

Ray W.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: October/22/2014 at 8:16am  Quote

I have had big birds since the mid 80's and never joined IMAA until the last dozen years. Our club held an IMAA every year and we had maybe 2-3 out of towners attend. The frustration with the magazine was that pictures of modelers with ARF's hardly gets me excited or interested. I understand that for some guys the only time they have ever had their pictures in a magazine is in High Flight but I am not interested in looking at another Cub ARF. Yes I am in the kick-starter and hope them success.
The best magazine ever published was R/C Report it covered the spectrum and having done product reviews in several magazines. I never had my review returned to me for a redo when I found the product failed to meet expectations, like R/C Modeler did.
Sparky

]
] ]